XTERRA Alabama "Monte Sano" State Park 4Mile/15K Trail Run
Location: Monte Sano, Huntsville, Alabama
Date: January 9, 2016 (Saturday)
Format: Trail Run
Distance: 2 options: 4mile, 15k
Course Map: 4mile | 15k GPS | Turn by Turn 4mile | Turn by Turn 15k | Park Trail Map | Race Course Map
Series: XTERRA Alabama
Presenting Sponsor: Alabama Outdoors
2015 Results: 15K | 4m
2015 Photos: We Run Huntsville 15K | We Run Huntsville 4 Milers
We are excited to present the 6th annual XTERRA Alabama Monte Sano State Park 15K/4Mile Trail Running Race!
Runners registration for the 2016 XTERRA Alabama Monte Sano State Park 15K/4Mile Trail Running Race is OPEN! We will be doing a wave start for this years race! 15K Runners 8:00 a.m. SHARP and 4 Mile Runners 8:15 a.m. SHARP! This will alleviate the need to place a participant cap on this race!
Giant thanks to Fleet Feet Huntsville for jumping on board and supporting the XTERRA Alabama Monte Sano State Park 15K/4Mile Trail Running Race!
For directions to the park: Monte Sano State Park
- Through December 27 -> $25
- December 28 - January 8 -> $30 (LATE)
- Race Day Registration -> $35
- Through December 27 -> $30
- December 28 - January 8 -> $35 (LATE)
- Race Day Registration -> $40
Dirty Spokes will be handing out "Dri-Fit" shirts at each of our trail running races this year! That's right a $25.00 value with your race registration! No guarantee of T-Shirt with late or race day registration.
4 Mile Course
1) Start is 250' south of the gate on the southwest corner of the picnic area parking lot, run 0.06 miles 2) Left onto North Plateau at the overlook, run 0.34 miles 3) Turn right on Fire Tower Trail out to intersection of Fire Tower and South Plateau Trail, run 0.85 miles 4) Stay left/straight on Fire Tower trail, run 0.57 miles 5) Trail splits, stay straight on Fire Tower Trail, run 0.03 miles 6) Turn right into South Plateau Trail, Aid station is here at O'Shaugnessy Point, run 0.03 miles 7) Stay on South Plateau Trail to intersection of Fire Tower Trail, run 0.59 miles 8) Stay left on South Plateau Trail, run 0.96 miles 9) Turn left on short connector trail leading back to Fire Tower, run 0.03 miles 10) Left onto Fire Tower to intersection of North Plateau, run 0.03 miles 11) Stay on North Plateau Trail, 0.34 miles 12) Right onto Picnic Road to finish, run 0.06 miles
9.3 Mile Course
1) Start is 250' south of the gate on southwest corner of picnic area parking lot, run 0.17 miles 2) Cross over Nolen Drive onto Fire Tower (Red) Trail, run 0.64 miles 3) Crossing over Nolen Drive staying on Fire Tower (Red) Trail, run 0.07 miles 4) Left on North Plateau (Blue) Trail east toward Hiker Lot, run 0.10 miles 5) Right on South Plateau (White) Trail southeast toward Bikers Lot, run 0.14 miles 6) Crossing over Park Road into Bikers lot, stay right of island, run 0.09 miles 7) East side of parking lot is entrance to trail and descend Sinks Trail, run 0.45 miles 8) Turn left at Three Benches, run 0.04 miles 9) Stone Cuts is middle branch (Sinks Trail goes left, Keith Trail goes right), run 0.07 miles 10) Turn right (left is Stone Cuts Bypass) and through caves/tunnel, run 0.23 miles 11) Turn right is still on Stone Cuts Trail, run 0.03 miles 12) Turn right on Logan Point, pass over Panther Gap to east, run 0.12 miles 13) Loop around Golan Heights on Keith Trail, run 1.06 miles 14) Left onto Chestnut before Keith terminates at Sinks Trail, run 0.15 miles 15) Stay right on Goat Trail passing K2 connector on left, run 1.91 miles 16) Turn left onto War Path Ridge, then stay right as the trail rounds the bend and starts to climb, run 0.29 miles 17) Aid station is at O'Shaugnessy Point, run on White Trail for 25' 18) Turn right onto Mountain Mist switch back down to Goat Trail Connector, run 0.15 miles 19) Turn left staying on Mountain Mist Trail to first Sinks crossing, run 1.38 miles 20) Stay straight on Mountain Mist Trail to second Sinks crossing, run 0.50 miles 21) Stay straight on Mountain Mist to closed Bankhead road crossing, run 0.79 miles 22) Cross over closed Bankhead and then left onto Walnut Trail, run 0.35 miles 23) At the top of Walnut, turn right onto Blue Trail, run 0.25 miles 24) After crossing Nolen Drive, Blue Trail south, run 0.19 miles 25) Immediately after leaving woods, turn left onto gravel and back to finish at pavilion, run 0.06 miles
Packet pickup will be the morning of the race starting at 6:30 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
15K Race starts at 8:00 a.m. SHARP and the 4 Mile Race starts at 8:15 a.m. SHARP!
Dirty Spokes will be handing out medals and prizes to our overall top 3 male and female finishers for each race. We will also be handing out medals to our top 3 male and female finishers in each age group (14&U, 15-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70&U) – you must be present to receive your medal we will not mail them to you.
Awards will be given out when we have enough finishers in to fill the categories. Medals will be given out to the top three finishers in each category. Walkers are encouraged to participate; however, you should be able to complete the 4Mile ⁄ 15K at a 16 minute mile pace or under to receive an official time.
2013 Race Day Video