Dirty Spokes "Oak Mountain State Park" Alabama Off Road Duathlon
Location: Oak Mountain State Park, Birmingham, Alabama
Date: November 9, 2014 (Sunday)
Distance: 3.1 Mile Run ⁄ 11.0 Mile Bike
Course Map: Run GPS | Bike GPS Not available at this time.
Series: Dirty Spokes Georgia Duathlon
Presenting Sponsor: Maxxis Tires
Results: 2013 Team | Solo
Photos: Not Yet Available
We´re excited to present the 5th Annual Dirty Spokes Alabama Duathlon at Oak Mountain.
- Through Oct. 26, 2014 -> $35
- After Oct. 27, 2014 -> $40
- Race Day Nov. 9, 2014 -> $45
- Through Oct. 26, 2014 -> $60 (per team)
- After Oct. 27, 2014 -> $65 (per team)
- Race Day Nov. 9, 2014 -> $75 (per team)
Dirty Spokes is excited to offer Dri Fit Shirts at our races this year! That´s right a $25.00 value with your race registration! To be guaranteed of getting one of these awesome shirts – we recommend you register early (active.com or mail in registration). Again, NO GUARANTEE of a Dri Fit Shirt with late or race day registration.
Dirty Spokes is proud to support our local trail maintenance groups! We will be donating a percentage of the race proceeds back to the Birmingham Urban Mountain Pedalers (BUMP) Group for setting up the course at Oak Mountain State Park! We greatly appreciate the time and energy they put into building and maintaining these trails! Please support your local trail maintenance group!
- 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Race Check-in (Oak Mountain State Park)
- 8:30 a.m. Racers Meeting
- 8:45 a.m. Bikes / Gear Positioned In The Transition Area
- 9:00 a.m. Race Start
- All participants will be required to wear an ANSI or Snell approved helmet at all times while riding. Penalty is DQ.
- No outside assistance is permitted at any time during the race. Racers may assist other racers.
- All food and drink for the race must be either carried with the racer or staged in the transition area. There will be no water stops on the course.
- You must run or walk your bike out of the transition area.
- After crossing the finish line, racers will be directed into a finishing chute so that they can be scored appropriately. We will be using "Chip Timing".
- Race numbers must be visible at all times.
- Cutting the course is not permitted. Penalty is DQ.
- The relay exchange will take place in the transition area. This exchange will be done by transferring the timing chip from the runner to the biker.
- In the event of a mechanical, the racer must cross the finish line with his/her bike to receive an official finish time.
- Please exercise caution and good sportsmanship when passing other racers on the trail.
We will be using "Chip Timing" for this race. Two person relay teams will need to wear a provided timing chip which will function as their "baton" to hand off to their teammate.
Packet pickup will be the morning of the race starting at 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.. Race starts at 9:00 a.m. SHARP!
Run - Start out at the south trailhead. Follow the road around past the restrooms into the day use area. Enter the Family Trail at the first entrance. Turn right at the next intersection FOLLOWING THE WHITE PLATES. Follow the family trail around until it bears right on to Rattlesnake Ridge. Go about 1/8 of a mile and turn left at the next intersection. When you reach the road, turn right and turn right when back at the parking lot toward Peavine Falls Rd. Turn onto Peavine Falls rd. In 100 feet, turn left on to the Yellow Trail and follow it until it intersects with the Green Trail and Jekyll & Hyde. Turn left and go up the Green Trail FOLLOWING THE WHITE PLATES. Go about 1/3 of a mile and turn left onto the Green-Yellow connector and follow it back to the Yellow Trail. Turn right and immediately turn right on to Peavine Falls Rd and then onto the finish line.
Bike - Start out at the south trailhead. Follow the road around and turn onto the Lake Trail (You'll see 2 bridges from the road). Stay straight onto the Lake Trail for .7 mile. Turn left onto Rattlesnake Ridge. Follow Rattlesnake Ridge until you come to the Skinny Bridge. Cross the Skinny Bridge. Follow the trail to the next intersection (Family Trail). Turn Right and follow it until it bears right back onto Rattlesnake Ridge. At the next intersection, stay left and follow the trail back to the start/finish (Please Note: bike segment will be same loop two times / very fast and flowing bike course).
Dirty Spokes will be handing out medals and prizes to our overall top 3 male and female finishers. We will also be handing out medals to our top 3 male and female finishers in each age group. Awards will be given out when we have enough finishers in to fill the categories. Medals will be given out to the top three finishers in each category.